Pumpkin pieces-1/2 cup
Tamarind-1big lemon size(Extract the juice by soaking in warm water)
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder-2tsp(Adjust to your taste)
Red chilly-1 broken into pieces
- Pressure cook dal by adding 2 cups of water and mash it
- Add onion, pumpkin and 2 cups of water to dal and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add tamarind, salt, red chilly powder and tomato and cook for 7-8 minutes(Till the rawness of tamarind disappears)
- Now add sambar paste, mix it well and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in separate pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and when they start spluttering add red chilly. Immediately add it to sambar.Turn off heat and place lid on it
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
For Sambar paste:
Split urad dal-1tbsp
Asfoetida or hing-pinch
Coriander Seeds -1tbsp
Freshly grated coconut-1-2tbsp
- In a heavy bottomed vessel add chana dal, urad dal and pepper corns and fry till they release aroma ad turn brown.
- Now add cumin seeds and fry for a while
- Now add coriander seeds and hing and fry for few seconds(Always do the roasting on low flame and keep on stirring to prevent them getting burnt)
- Finally add curry leaves and cool them completely.
- To make sambar paste grind all the dry roasted ingredients along with coconut and turmeric powder and 1tbsp of water(The paste should be thick and fine)