This is a traditional andhra dish and mom used to make it for my lunch when I was in school.It is easy to prepare and goes very well with steamed rice and ghee.The main ingredient is chana dal and you can also use vegetables such as French beans in its preparation.
Chana Dal -1cup(Soak in water)
Red chillies-8-10(Adjust to your taste)
Salt to taste
- Grind chana dal, red chillies,salt and cumin seeds to a coarse paste(Add some water if needed)
- Now heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and fry the onion till it becomes transparent.
- Now add curry leaves and fry for a while.
- Now add chana dal paste, cover it and cook stirring once in while.(Be careful.You have to stir it frequently other wise patoli will get burnt.To prevent the mixture from drying add 2tbsp of oil while stirring.It will take nearly 20-25 minutes to get fry powder like texture)
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.
If you want to add French beans, add cooked beans just 5 minutes before switching off the flame amd stir it well.